Examinations & Preparation Guidelines
Passing the CFTe I and CFTe II culminates in the award of an international professional qualification in technical analysis. The exams are intended to test not only your technical skills knowledge, but your understanding of ethics and the market.
Level I: This multiple-choice exam consists of 120 questions covering a wide range of technical knowledge, but usually not involving actual experience. In preparation for the exam, candidates should use this Syllabus and Study Guide (CFTe I). This exam is currently offered in English, German, Spanish, Arabic and Chinese. Download the CFTe I practice (mock) examination (English) | CFTe I practice (mock) examination (Arabic) | CFTe I practice (mock) examination (Chinese).
Level II: This exam incorporates a number of questions requiring an essay based analysis and answers. For this, the candidate should demonstrate a depth of knowledge and experience in applying various methods of technical analysis. The exam provides a number of current charts covering one specific market (often an equity) to be analysed, as though for a Fund Manager.
The CFTe II is a paper and pencil exam that is offered in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Arabic, and Chinese, bi-annually, typically in April and October. This exam regularly takes place in major cities throughout the world. IFTA will attempt to accommodate any exam location request. Additional fees may apply to candidates requesting the exam in a non-English language or non-IFTA proctored exam location.
In preparation for the exam, candidates should use this Syllabus and Study Guide (CFTe II).
An IFTA syllabus compliant Home Study Course which prepares candidates for both the IFTA CFTe I and II examinations is available from one of its member societies, the STA in the UK, here.
Register here for the next CFTe II on 25 October 2018. The deadline to register for this exam is 7 September 2018. No registrations will be accepted after this date. Download (English) practice (mock) CFTe II examination. | Download (German) practice (mock) CFTe II examination. | Download (Spanish) practice (mock) CFTe II examination. | Download (Arabic) practice (mock) CFTe II examination.
The program is designed for self-study. Local societies may offer preparation courses to assist potential candidates.
Individuals who have successfully completed IFTA accredited certification programs through: Australian Technical Analysts Association (ATAA), Egyptian Society of Technical Analysts (ESTA), Nippon Technical Analysts Association (NTAA), and Society of Technical Analysts (STA) are exempt and may proceed directly to the MFTA program. See below for more details:
- Individuals who have successfully been awarded the Diploma in Technical Analysis (DipTA) by the Australian Technical Analysts Association (ATAA) are considered to have the equivalent of the certificate and may apply for the MFTA Program.
- Individuals who have successfully completed Levels I, II, & III of the Certified ESTA Technical Analyst Program (CETA) through the Egyptian Society of Technical Analysts (ESTA), and have been awarded the CETA diploma, are exempt from both levels and may proceed to the MFTA Program.
- Individuals who have passed Level I and Level II of the certification program offered by the Nippon Technical Analysts Association (NTAA) and have been awarded the designation of Chartered Member of the Nippon Technical Analysts Association (CMTA) are also exempt from both levels and may proceed to the MFTA Program.
- Beginning January 2013, individuals who have passed the STA Foundation and Diploma Courses offered by the Society of Technical Analysts (STA) and have been awarded the designation of Member of the Society of Technical Analysts (MSTA) are eligible to receive the CFTe certification (please contact STA’s Administration for procedures) and may proceed with IFTA’s MFTA Program. Prior to January 2013, holders of the Society of Technical Analysts (STA) Diploma are exempt from Level II, but must pass Level I (a multiple-choice test) before qualifying for the CFTe certification.
- Individuals who passed the CMT Association, Chartered Market Technician (CMT) levels I and II are eligible to receive the CFTe certification. Please submit an application and provide a pass confirmation from the CMT Association, including dates attained. There is a one-time application fee of $550 US. No future fees or membership requirements apply. (Amended February 2017.)
IFTA Member Colleagues
CFTe I $550 US
CFTe II $850* US
CFTe I $850 US
CFTe II $1,150* US
*Additional Fees (CFTe II only):
$100 US applies for non-IFTA proctored exam locations
For more information on the program please email admin -a- ifta.org.